Nestled at the foothills of Kilimanjaro is the humble village of Marangu. Home to the Chaga people the village offers fascinating insights into coexistence of modernity with the old. On this trip, you will visit the Chaga tunnels and learn about the reason for existence and role in the Chaga history. You will also learn the methods and tricks the Chagas employed to withstand the raids of the warrior Masaai tribe. You will visit the local coffee plantations and have a chance to taste the potent banana beer.
Tanzania Day Trips To Marangu Village Tour
Details of One Day Marangu Village Tour
You’ll depart from your Arusha hotel early in the morning or your Moshi/Kilimanjaro hotel shortly after breakfast. The town of Marangu is located a two-hour drive from Arusha.
The exact order of activities on your tour may vary, but all of our Marangu Village tours include:
- Local coffee plantation tour: Learn about the process of coffee making by visiting locally owned coffee plantations. Watch how they take the beans from the trees and manually grind and roast them to give you an aromatic cup of freshly brewed coffee. If you are willing you can try the grinding and roasting of beans yourself
- Chaga tunnels tour: You will explore the dark labyrinthine tunnels that the Chaga built to save themselves from the vicious raids of the Masai warriors. You guide will throw light on the methods of guerrilla warfare adopted by the Chagas to safeguard themselves and surviuve underground for long periods.
- Banana beer tasting: Taste the potent banana beer by visiting a local vendor
Your day tour also includes either a picnic lunch or lunch at a local restaurant.
You’ll return to your lodge in the late afternoon (Moshi) or the early evening (Arusha).
- Learn more about local life on this one day tour.
- Visit the Chaga tunnels and learn how they used them to fend off the Maasai.
- Hike to a gorgeous waterfall and take a dip.
- Learn about and sample locally grown coffee on a plantation tour.
- Sample banana beer.
- See the landscape of the Kilimanjaro foothills.
|Included in the price|
|Excluded from the price|
INQUIRY FOR YOUR SAFARI
Get personal pricing option and a free advice from tour specialist! Your personal information is absolutely safe with us!
Our tour specialists are ready to help you with your trip planning with the best possible combinations to suit your needs. Please complete this short form and we will get in touch within 24 hours. All personal information supplied will be absolutely secure and remain within our organization and will not be shared with any external entity unless prior permission is given.